Adele’s Legacy gives out a lot of hats. It has been estimated that our group has knitted and crocheted over 2,600 hats for donation. That’s a lot of cozy kids!! We love to have more hats, but we have a few standards! Here are some general things to keep in mind about our hats.
- All of the hats we donate are made by hand. No store bought hats are considered for donation.
- All of the hats must be made of man-made fibers (acrylic, polyester, nylon). This means no wool, no cotton, no cashmere! This is because the hats will be LOVED and therefore will need to be washed frequently. If the hats were made of wool or cotton they might accidentally be felted or shrunk to the point where they were un-wearable. In order to prevent this we ONLY donate hats made from easily washable and dryable synthetic materials.
- The hats we donate are well constructed, hearty hats. They should all last a long time. To ensure that your hat is created with the same strong construction please read our Tips and Tricks. We provide advice on all aspects of hat construction and strongly advise your taking advantage of the education we provide. Sadly, hats that aren’t made well don’t get donated, and we don’t want that to happen to any of your hats, so please take a look at our tips!!
- All of the hat patterns we provide are knitted or crocheted from worsted weight yarn. If you are new to hand work and want to create a hat for us you need to ask for “worsted weight acrylic yarn” when you go to your local yarn shop. If you are in Franklin County, contact us we might be able to provide you with enough yarn for a hat or two!
- Decoration of the hats is not necessary, but if you want to decorate them, GO FOR IT! Many of our volunteers love to use stripes or variegated yarn (yarn with many colors). Some of our hat makers prefer pompoms, tassels, or even crocheted flowers as decoration. We feel that there is a head for every hat. One of the children will LOVE what you have made, no matter how it is, or isn’t decorated!